top of page

Japanese Mini-Trucks: Your Complete Registration Checklist

Mini-Truck Registration in Montana

Montana has become a sanctuary for kei truck enthusiasts seeking refuge from restrictive state registration laws. Fortunately, registering your Japanese mini-truck in Montana is not only possible but also beneficial. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process, ensuring your new mini-truck is compliant and legally cruising the streets or tackling off-road adventures.

Checklist for Registering a Japanese Mini-Truck in Montana

Embarking on the Montana registration journey requires a precise set of documents and steps. Here’s what you need:

  • A surety bond for vehicles from 1994 onwards.

  • The MV10 form for application for break/bond title.

  • An MT MV20 VIN inspection form, to be completed by law enforcement.

  • Photographs of the vehicle, VIN, and odometer.

  • The HS-7 declaration form.

  • Customs entry documents, proving legal importation.

  • The Japanese export certificate and its English translation.

  • Proof of ownership, like a bill of sale.

  • Any additional paperwork specified by your registration agent.

The Need for a Surety Bond

A surety bond acts as a safeguard, ensuring that the mini-truck is not stolen and has no outstanding liens. It’s a form of insurance for the state that protects its interests. If your mini-truck is 1994 or newer, Montana requires this bond as part of the registration process. The cost will vary depending on the vehicle’s value, but it's a crucial step for a bonded title.

Completing Your MV10 Application for Break/Bond Title

The MV10 form is your official request to the state of Montana for a break/bond title, which is necessary when there are difficulties in proving complete ownership history. This document must be filled out accurately, as it details the vehicle’s history and ties it to your surety bond. Completeness and precision in completing this form is essential.

The MT MV20 VIN Inspection Form

For your mini-truck to be registered, it must undergo a VIN inspection by a certified law enforcement officer. This ensures the vehicle's identification number matches the one on record. The form, along with the officer’s credentials, provides Montana’s DMV with the necessary assurance that your mini-truck is legitimate and matches its importation documents.

Gathering the Required Vehicle Photographs and Documents

Before your mini-truck can be considered for registration, visual confirmation is required. You will need to provide photographs from multiple angles: one showcasing a majority of the vehicle, another capturing the public Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and a third of the odometer (for vehicles 20 years old and newer). Alongside these images, ensure you have all the supporting documents ready, including ownership proof and importation papers, to facilitate a smooth registration process.

The Federal DOT Declaration HS-7 Form

The HS-7 form is a declaration for vehicles imported into the United States, mandated by the Department of Transportation. It certifies that the vehicle complies with U.S. safety standards or is eligible for exemption. For mini-trucks, box 3 on the form should not be checked, as this indicates non-compliance with DOT standards. If box 3 is checked, you'll need to contact the NHTSA for the correct documentation.

The MV70A Form

When registering your unconventional vehicle in Montana, an important part of the process involves passing an inspection that ensures your vehicle adheres to Montana's safety standards as outlined in MCA Title 61, Chapter 9. This comprehensive inspection checklist covers a range of safety components—from headlamps and tail lamps to seatbelts and brakes—all of which must be in compliance with federal standards and Montana's specific requirements. Each item on the list, such as having a horn audible from 200 feet away or ensuring the mufflers prevent excessive noise, is meticulously checked to guarantee that your vehicle is fit for Montana roads. It's crucial to go through this list carefully and confirm your vehicle meets every point to avoid any hiccups in the registration process. 

Handling Customs Entry Documents for Your Mini-Truck

When your mini-truck entered the U.S., it came with customs entry documents that you need to keep. These papers prove that the vehicle legally crossed the border and cleared customs. For Montana registration, these documents must be stamped or labeled as 'paperless'. It’s vital to ensure that the VIN on these papers matches your vehicle's actual VIN, as discrepancies can lead to registration difficulties.

The Japanese Export Certificate

As your mini-truck was likely imported from Japan, you'll have a Japanese export certificate. For registration purposes in Montana, an English translation of this document is required. This certificate details the vehicle’s history in Japan and provides essential information such as the make, model, and VIN, which must match all other documentation.

Obtaining a Surety Bond for Your Mini-Truck

If a surety bond is needed for your mini-truck, you can acquire one through insurance companies or agents that offer these services. The cost is typically a rate per thousand dollars of the vehicle's appraised value. In Montana, you have recommended providers such as Farmers Insurance ( or 1-406-442-9680) and Marsh McLennan Agency ( or 406-442-5360), known for understanding the unique needs of mini-truck registrations.

Securing a surety bond is a critical step in safeguarding your ownership rights and ensuring that your registration aligns with state requirements. Be sure to reach out to the recommended agents for a quote and assistance in obtaining the necessary bond for your mini-truck.

Key Items to Note for Your Documentation

When preparing your mini-truck's registration documents, attention to detail is paramount. Ensure that transfers of ownerships, surety bonds, and export certificates are original. The VIN inspection must be filled out by hand by an authorized inspector on a Montana form. Always cross-verify that the VIN on your entry documents is accurately listed. Remember, Montana charges an additional fee for foreign vehicle registration, which should be factored into your budget.

Step-by-Step Process to Register Your Mini-Truck

The process to register your Japanese mini-truck in Montana is systematic and requires careful adherence to guidelines:

  • Gather all necessary documentation, including the surety bond, VIN inspection form, and vehicle photographs.

  • Ensure all documents, especially the customs entry papers and export certificate, are accurately filled and translated.

  • Reach out to LLCTLC for preliminary document review to avoid any errors that might delay the process.

  • Submit the reviewed and complete paperwork package to the LLCTLC office for final processing.

  • Await confirmation from LLCTLC for the successful registration of your mini-truck.

Contacting LLCTLC for Review and Submission Guidance

Before sending off your registration packet, contact LLCTLC to review your documents for accuracy. This proactive step can save time and prevent setbacks in the registration process. LLCTLC’s expertise ensures that all your documents meet the state's requirements, and their guidance makes the submission process seamless.

Mailing Your Documents to LLCTLC: What You Need to Know

Once you have compiled and reviewed your documents with LLCTLC, mail us to LLCTLC's office in Helena, MT. Use a traceable and reliable mailing service to ensure your documents are delivered securely. Include all required items as incomplete submissions can lead to processing delays. Keep a copy of all documents for your records before mailing the originals.

LLCTLC: Your Partner in Mini-Truck Registration and Beyond

With comprehensive support that spans beyond mere paperwork, LLCTLC stands with you every step of the way to ensure your mini-truck is legally registered. They offer assistance in navigating Montana’s vehicle registration laws and can become a long-term ally for all your vehicle registration needs.

With LLCTLC's expertise, registering your Japanese mini-truck in Montana can be a smooth and hassle-free experience. Reach out to us to start on the road to your mini-truck registration today!


bottom of page